11.15.2007

People@Ralph Lauren and Charles Gwathmey

Ralph Lauren and Charles Gwathmey the designers and their architects of choice.

Wallpaper*: How do you value the relationship between fashion and architecture and do you think architecture can reflect or inspire fashion?
Ralph Lauren: I think fashion is an art and a form of expression, just like architecture. Inspiration for both stem from what’s going on in the world. I think they could inspire each other.

W*: What sort of architecture do you think reflects the Ralph Lauren aesthetic?
RL: It isn’t about a single aesthetic. I have several homes and the architecture and setting of each represents something different. My home in Bedford evokes the feel of an English estate; it is very different from my ranch in Colorado, which captures the spirit of the West.

W*: How can architecture help sell fashion?
RL: I opened a store in Japan in Omotesando this past spring. As you know the architecture of the area is known for its diversity and my store is unique. It captures a timelessness and elegance that has been part of my design philosophy for 40 years.

W*: What is it about Charles Gwathmey’s work that appeals to you?
RL: Charles is a great modern architect; he designs with clarity and focus. He's a creative mind who lives and breathes what he does.

W*: Which projects have you worked on with Charles and do you intend to do more?
RL: We have discussed opportunities and ideas. Charles was consulted on the building of the store at 888 Madison. He is working on plans for a renovation of one of my homes and has designed a space that might one day host and display my car collection.

W*: What is your favorite city and why?
RL: I find energy and vitality in many cities but New York is my home, it is where I am from and it is personal to me.

W*: How difficult is it to combine your vision with that of someone else whose vision may be equally strong?
Charles Gwathmey: Design is a collaborative process. Having an honest, direct and committed dialogue is crucial. Obviously, we both have strong visions and there are legitimate differences. However, I believe, the more interesting and motivating part of our interaction, has been the intellectual dynamic and provocations, rather than the realisations. We have discussed many projects over the years and have realised two; I was the architectural design consultant on the original Sports Store on Madison Avenue and 72nd Street, and designed an addition to Ralph’s apartment, both in New York City. We have also designed a series of alternative schemes for a garage facility to both house and show his car collection.

W*: How does an architect begin to turn the task of shopping into a memorable event?
CG: Shopping is a form of discovery and anticipation. Experiencing architecture is similar. The ideal is fulfillment, stimulation, positive memory and a desire to return.

W*: Does fashion interest you?
CG:I have always been interested in fashion as an informing design discipline: proportion structure, detail, materiality, texture, color and quality. With a heightened interest in, and an awareness of the built environment, the ‘store’ has become a critical, perceptual and psychological component of merchandising as well as imaging. Architecture and fashion are partners.

@Source:http://www.wallpaper.com/fashion/power-couples-day-1/1071

沒有留言:

Search+